Monday, October 18, 2010

Seasons 52

I entered Seasons 52 feeling skeptical. How could a restaurant provide great taste yet stick with its promise of only 475 calories per item. My dinner guest quizzed the waiter:
"Is that 475 calories for each food item..or per meal?".
" what about the sauce..does that count?"
"..and the bread?"
Could low calorie food really equal big taste..? Is this the old fashioned thoughts that keep me at the gym 3 times a week?

Lets start from the beginning.
Seasons 52 is new to Dallas and has been talked about since opening its doors just two weeks ago. This small chain (by the same people at Red lobster, Olive Garden and Capital Grille) this restaurant is the first in Texas and originates from Florida where light seasonal fare is more the norm than here in the Big D.
This is another new place for the Shops at Legacy and as Ive stated in previous blogs is an ideal restaurant location for us with its urban feel and ample parking.
So...first impressions were great. Walking in the restaurant was hopping, with an older elegant crowd. On this rarely pleasant Texas evening the outdoor patio was lively. The interior decor, soft with earth tones and dim lighting. Its been likened to Houstons and I get that. I fell in love with the bar and its big heavy chairs. Oddly the live music was a man on a piano behind the bar. A little loud and in your face yet I liked it
The drink menu is impressive with lots of choices for wines by the glass and some more unusual options, including organic wines and a "drink them before they are famous" category. The cocktail list was fun and fruity but drew complaints from hubby who would have preferred to see some less girlie options.
The bar staff were knowledgeable and friendly, quick to offer free pours and advice whilst we waited for our table.
This continued through to the restaurant, where our waiter made the evening memorable with personal banter, jokes and attentive (without being overbearing) service.
5 stars for the staff so far.
Once settled, appetizers started us on a good note with a wonderful chicken tortilla soup, flat bread and the most amazing goat cheese ravioli (thin delicate pasta around melted deliciousness). My mussels were cooked well but all the garlic and tomato broth in the world couldn't hide a slightly fishy after taste which led me to believe they were not as fresh as i expected.

Unfortunately, the entrees fell short in the taste department. My caramelized scallops were plentiful and tender but the pearl couscous alongside was bland.

Caramelized Scallops with Pearl Couscous

Hubby's artichoke stuffed shrimp didn't tantalize the taste buds either which was was unfortunate as the presentation had his mouth watering
I didn't try the Tiger shrimp pasta which our guest ordered but whilst it wasn't bad there was nothing to make it stand out either.

Seasons 52 is known for its mini indulgence desserts, so to make up for a disappointing dinner we loaded up on the tall shooter glasses filled with goodness; Chocolate peanut butter mousse (rich and decadent), Pumpkin pie with ginger snap crust (seasonal and flavoursome), key lime pie (a little bland), market fresh fruit (tasty) and lemon pie (unanimously voted the best on the table)!
I love the idea of Seasons 52 and it was a great night out even if some of the healthy fare fell short in the flavour department

Mini Indulgences
I'm sure I'll visit Seasons 52 again but I think I will stick with the starters and/or dessert and skip the entrees next time around.
I have a feeling Ill be sticking with my allotted gym time and forgetting about the "low cal" food from now on when I'm treating myself to a night out

Seasons 52 on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

  1. that's the problem with a lot of "healthy" food: that it doesn't taste anything...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last line says it all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to the Seasons 52 in Orlando, FL (where my parents live) and we always love it! Too bad the Texas version hasn't lived up to my past experiences. I was hopeful I could get my fix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the britgirl insight!
    Nice philosophy, too!
    http://www.bodyandmind.co.za/pedometer/calories.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenni Jackson said....Thanks for sharing! Love the write up...you just saved me gas and money : ) xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have had a cold. My meal was bursting with flavor. I couldn't believe I could get a filet like that and flavorful sides for 475 calories.

    ReplyDelete